There is nothing like a can of soda on a hot day right? The way it fizzles in your mouth, the cool feeling as it passes down your throat-the taste like heaven or not quite. A lot of research has been going into what carbonated drinks do to our bodies and the results are shocking. Here are 10 reasons why you should never pick up another soda bottle again.
- First, drinking soda on a regular basis can cause havoc on your liver in a way that is similar to how alcohol damages your liver. A deadly condition called non-alcoholic fatty liver disease results. This is because of the high fructose corn syrup common in processed foods especially soda.
- Another more obvious reason for you to quit your soda is that it increases the risk of obesity greatly. In children, an increased 60% risk in obesity can be caused by daily intake of these drinks. A 20 ounce bottle of soda has up to 20 teaspoons of sugar!
- Although carbonated drinks give the feeling of refreshment, the truth is that they dehydrate you. How? The caffeine contained in them causes you to frequently urinate which means losing essential body fluid.
- Men who intake sodas in high quantities have up to 20% increased susceptibility to heart disease
- Sugary drinks are also known to create an unstable metabolism which makes it more difficult for a person to lose weight.
VIDEO: WHAT IS SO HARMFUL ABOUT SODAS?
- Lowered overall bone density may also result from drinking too much soda. The reason behind this is because of the presence of phosphoric acid which when in higher concentrations compared to calcium leads to bone loss. Caffeine also disrupts calcium absorption.
- Asthma and other breathing problems are also attributed to overconsumption of sodas.
- Daily consumption of soda also increases the risk of diabetes by up to 25%. The reason is due to the fact that our bodies absorb liquid sugar faster than its other forms. This causes spikes in blood sugar levels that may cause the body to convert sugar into fat in the liver.
- Decreased kidney function has also been linked to drinking diet soda. Diet soda drinkers have 3 times drop in kidney function compared to those who don’t drink diet soda.
- Soda cans contain a chemical (BPA) or bisphenol that is also found in other food packages. This chemical is capable of disrupting the body’s normal balance of hormones and has also been linked to diseases like cancer.
The next time you are tempted to quench your thirst with a bottle of cola, think again. You might be drinking yourself to an early grave.